
Today was Andrew's evaluation for his horse-riding program. It was easy to get him up the ramp, but not so easy to coax him onto this little pony. His name was "Pick a Spot". Andrew spoke to no one during the process and would follow no directions he was given. In short, it was just what I expected.

Part of his diagnosis is a defensiveness against new people and/or situations. He defends himself against the unknown by hiding. Here he is with his head down refusing to even look up.

He started to warm up just a little bit during the 15 minute evaluation. Look at these awesome volunteers!

After he was done he would not even talk about it. But, after a tour of the barn with all the other horses and some petting, he told me that he wanted to take "Pick a Spot" home with us. At home he told our PT Sophia and friend Marti about riding the horses, so I think he really liked it--even if he told me he never wanted to do it again. His actual classes will start in March. What is great is that our twins will start there in a year or 2 as well. I plan on training to be a volunteer.
1 comment:
I was always amazed at the results of animal therapy. Dolphin therapy was by far the most insteresting but EOUCH!!!! the cost hurts.
Post a Comment