Sunday, March 23, 2008

Poor Little Crab Claw

Well, after 2+ days of vomitting & diarrhea we got to see Andrew at his weakest. Josh had changed 8 poopie diapers in 4 hours and I had sent him to bed when I started to change Andrew. After 4 diapers in one sitting I knew something was wrong. He was skinny, weak, white & shaking. I sent one of the kids for Josh and he took our little baby to the pediatric ER. (I was still fighting the stomach flu and didn't think they would welcome that in the ER) He was dehydrated so they hooked him up to an IV for 2 hours. He was so bad that they left in the IV heplock in and told us to come back today (Sunday). That is where Josh & Andrew are now.

I was surprised at how well Andrew handled not having a right hand. We called it the crab claw. They had wrapped his fingers over some sort of board and then wrapped the whole thing tightly so he couldn't bump or pull out the needle. He had to spend the day in his big brother's shirt because it was the only one with a sleeve that would fit over his arm.

The good news is that he actually ate some solid food today and the severity of the diarrhea has decreased. Hopefully when they re-evaluate him tonight he will get the heplock out and begin to be better. I really hate scary times like this!! Each of my kids is so important and precious to me that every time they get sick it just breaks my heart.

4 comments:

Cindy Barnes said...

I am so sorry you guys are having to go through all of this sickness! And on top of being prego with twins!! Crazy!! Hopefully things will look up! We will keep you all in our prayers!

k.young said...

How scary! What did they say was wrong with him??

valerie said...

Poor little man! And poor parents for that matter. It always makes for a crummy time when kids are so sick. I hope he gets his strength back, and get better soon!

Cassie said...

my poor chub chub. I feel so bad for him i wish i could give him kisses. HE is so cute when he's happy i hate that he was so sick. give him lots of kisses for me.