Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympic Hopeful

A couple days ago I recorded women's gymnastics and had the kids watch it with me. I thought that they might think it was really cool. As we were watching they were trying their own flips & somersaults around the room. James started bragging that he could do that stuff easily because he was the best in the world and the best EVER!! I was holding one of the girls and not paying much attention to the kids, when I looked up to see James do a flying twirl off the post at the end of my bed. He started to scream so I ran to see if everything was OK. When he had stopped crying enough to talk he said, "Mom, I'm not the bestest!". He started to cry again in utter devastation. I realized that the only thing hurt was his pride. He really thought he could do that better than Shawn or Nastia. His Olympic dreams are shattered now because even though I have offered to put him in gymnastics he refuses because he can't do it. I keep trying to convince him that you have to learn before you do but it seems to be a concept that this 4 year old can't grasp. That kid cracks me up.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

I'm laughing out loud! What a kid!

Annie said...

That is soo funny! Poor kid! I'm sure his confidence will return as he forgets this instance of imperfection.

Parrylarious said...

Hanging with the gang and missing you today!

Cassie said...

I love that kid he cracks me up!!!!