Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Confidence


I have to laugh at our 4 yr old James. He just never doubts himself. He seems to have been born with confidence. Today at the park there were about 7 8-12 yr old boys playing a "battle game" by getting on teams and throwing pine cones at each other. James cracked me up. He just jumped right in. He never questioned whether they would want a 4 yr old to play with them or not. Then he started shouting orders at other boys on his side. "Get him" , "Hand me that pine cone!" , "Come over here!" I thought for sure someone would clobber him but no one seemed to mind at all. He would sometimes follow one or more around trying to talk at them (yes AT them) because talking 24/7 is a gift of his. Even I can't compete with his big mouth. When we left I assumed that they wouldn't even notice. Not so. They all stopped the game long enough to yell a chorus of "Bye James!" (They knew his name?!) I guess there is a lot to say for confidence. Life won't always be this kind to him but it is so fun to see how confident he is in himself and how sure he is that he is wanted everywhere by everyone. I would love to be as sure of myself as he is. His confidence is one of his greatest strengths.

4 comments:

The Seaman Family said...

Kim you have such a wonderful family! Your kids are adorable and seem so sweet...I can tell you where they get that from. You are such a great example not only to them but others as well. Thanks! I love reading your blog and seeing all the new updates and pictures. They are so cute and fun. I admire yours and Josh's Courage and strength. Heavenly Father really knows and understands the 2 of you and knows that you all will be taken care of because of that strength and courage. You're a Great Role Model and I appreciate it and want to strive to do better all the time after seeing each new day with you all. Thanks a bunch.

Shauna said...

Wait a second. I think you just described Nathan! Motor-mouth and everything!

Annie said...

Kim,
James is so cute! Jacob talks CONSTANTLY too. I never new that little boys talked so much. Maybe it's only four year old little boys, que se yo! James is a lucky little boy to have that innate confidence, few people do, and it will take him far in life. If I am ever asked, "If you could go back and give advice to your younger self what would you say." My answer would be ,"Be confident", I think confidence would have made some things easier and/or more bearable.

k.young said...

What a sweet post. You have wonderful kids. How lucky are you?!!